Head of Art & Technology
Appel Farm Arts & Music Center
Appel Farm Arts & Music Center, located near Elmer, New Jersey, United States, is a multifaceted nonprofit regional arts center founded by musicians and art educators Albert and Clare Rostan Appel. Appel Farm Arts & Music Center is South Jersey's leading Arts Education organization. The center was founded in 1960 as a summer camp, became incorporated in 1978 and has since expanded its programming to include on-site arts retreats, arts classes, outreach in the schools, professional development for teachers, and the South Jersey Arts Fest.
Appel Farm's mission and programs are built on the philosophy of its founders: to provide people of all ages, cultures, and economic backgrounds with a supportive, cooperative environment in which to explore the arts. This mission is rooted in the belief that the arts are an exciting and essential part of the learning process, and that artistic talent is innate and waiting to be developed in every person.
As the Head of Art & Technology Department, my duties include:
● Teaching K-12 students Filmmaking, Recording Arts & Sound Design, Post Production, Podcasting, Video Journalism, and Video Game Design.
● Maintaining an active presence around lessons, follow up on weekly check-ins, and provide accurate helpful guidance and coaching opportunities to teachers & campers.
● Acting as a liaison between Instructors and the Leadership Team including the Bunk Heads and the Camp Directors.
● Upholding camp policies, rules, procedures, and health and safety guidelines.
● Continuously promoting and exhibiting Appel Farm’s Core Values: safety, fun, personal growth, and community.
● Evaluating how the department is running and making necessary adjustments.
● Keeping the department’s supplies and materials up to date while following a $4500 budget.
● Coordinating department workshops to ensure a diverse selection of relevant workshops are available
● Organizing the set-up and breakdown of department spaces at the beginning and the end of camp.
● Keeping an inventory of supplies/equipment, organizing equipment to be repaired, and reporting to the Camp Directors.